University of Maryland Counseling Center

Resources for Students Who Have Children

The Counseling Center at the University of Maryland recognizes that student mothers/fathers (undergraduate and graduate students that have children) have unique concerns. In an attempt to help you find resources that may be useful for you as you navigate your role as a student parent, we have put together a list of information we hope will be helpful. Information on child-care, counseling, financial aid, and grant/fellowship opportunities is provided below. This list is not meant to be exhaustive, but does provide some services offered on and off campus.

  • The Graduate Student Government: Families and Childcare section (also useful for undergraduates) provides all sorts of information, such as a referral source for child-care, upcoming parenting events, and restrooms on campus that are more private for lactation purposes.

  • The Center for Young Children (CYC) provides child-care on campus. It is located at Building 381, Valley Drive, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland 20742. You can contact them by phone at 301-405-3168 or visit their webpage at

  • The Counseling Center (301-314-7651) provides individual, group, and couples counseling and houses the Learning Assistance Service (LAS; 301-314-7693) and the University Parent Consultation and Child Evaluations Service (UPCCES; 301-314-7673). More information about the counseling Center and its various services can be found at

  • The Office of Student Financial Aid is one place you can get information on financial assistance.

  • There are several scholarship opportunities for students over the age of 23 available on campus. The Newcombe Foundation (women only) and the Portney Scholarships (women and men) supports students as they pursue degrees in higher education. Information on both the Newcombe and Portney Scholarships can be found at: or by calling the Learning Assistance Service (301-314-7693). The Marilyn K. Brown Loan (women only) is a no-interest loan for up to one year and more information can be found by calling the Learning Assistance Service at 301-314-7693. More information on scholarships available through the University of Maryland can be found at:

Below we have listed some additional possible resources available both on and off campus:

  • University Human Resources will sometimes sponsor events for parents.

  • The Graduate Student Handbook provides information on frequently asked questions about graduate school, such as graduate assistantships and financial assistance. You might also find information on Graduate Student Announcements that will sometimes post family events and events students parents may be interested in.

  • Graduate Student Life might help you navigate being a graduate student as well as help you connect with other graduate students by posting events.

  • will sometimes post free activities for students, parents, and children.

  • Additional scholarship/financial assistance information is available from the American Association of University Women (AAUW) has grants and award information. Questions regarding grants and fellowships should be directed to 319-337-1716 (Mon-Fri 8:30-5pm central time) or The International Federation of University Women also provides information on fellowships and grants.

If you have any additional information to share, please send it to Barbara Goldberg at so that others can explore these opportunities. Thank you!