Calendar of Events
Click on a day to learn more about programs and events offered by the Counseling Center.
Research & Development Presentations
The Counseling Center announces the following presentations for its Research and Development Meetings during the Spring semester.
All interested faculty, staff, and graduate students are invited.
Time: 12:00-1:00 pm, Wednesdays
Place: Room 0114, Shoemaker Building
Meetings are scheduled for one hour over a bring-your-own lunch. Presenters are asked to provide time for discussion.
Sharon Kirkland-Gordon, Ph.D.
Director, Counseling Center
- February 6
- Topic: "Fearless Ideas"
Speaker: Brian Ullmann, Assistant Vice President, University Marketing and Communications
- February 13
- Topic: "Construction and Initial Validation of the Gendered Racial Microaggression Scale: An Exploration Among Black Women"
Speaker: Jioni Lewis, M.A., UMD Counseling Center Doctoral Intern
- February 20
- Topic: "2012 Spring Research Project: Diverse Learning Environments"
Speaker: Ann H. Becks, Graduate Coordinator, Research & Assessment
Department of Resident Life
- February 27
- Topic: "Calvert's Creation: A Brief History of the University of Maryland"
Speaker: Anne Turkos, University of Maryland Archivist
- March 6
- No Presentation - ACPA Convention
- March 13
- Topic: "The Career Development of Asian American Female Visual Artists"
Speaker:Sharon Lee, M.A., UMD Counseling Center Doctoral Intern
- March 20
- Topic:"No Presentation - Spring Break"
- March 27
- Topic: "Career Aspirations and the First Generation Student"
Speaker:Margaretha Lucas, Ph.D., UMD Counseling Center
- April 3
- Topic: "John Fink, Coordinator of Transfer2Terp, Stamp Student Union "
Speaker:Transfer to Terp (T2T)
- April 10
- Topic: "Competition: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"
Speaker: Curt Grimm, Ph.D., Professor and Charles A. Taff Chair of
Economics and Strategy, Department of Logistics, Business & Public
- April 17
- Topic: "The Sacred Dark Feminine and the Strong Black Woman: Expectations for and of Black Female Students"
Speaker: Sheri Parks, Ph.D., Associate Professor and Co-Director of Graduate
Studies, Department of American Studies
- April 24
- Topic: "The Influence of Ethnic Identity and Meaning in Life on Career Decision Making Self-Efficacy "
Speaker: Sharon Lee, M.A., Jioni Lewis, M.A., Mrinalini Rao, M.S., & Trisha Raque-Bogdan, M.S., N.C.C., Doctoral Interns, UMD Counseling Center
- May 1
- Topic: "Addressing the Unique Needs of International Students on Campus"
Speaker: EEEO Committee